There are many treatments for hair loss in women. Medications are the most common type of treatment under woman hair loss treatments. They consist of the following:-
- Minoxidil: The drug which was introduced basically for treatment of blood pressure, but 2% solution of minoxidil applied directly to the scalp could activate hair growth. 2% minoxidil is FDA-approved for treatment of androgenetic alopecia in women. It is the effective women hair loss treatment and definitely it is one of the best treatments for hair loss.
- Iron supplements and Hair loss vitamins: One cause of hair loss in women is iron deficiency or anemia. Iron supplements or hair loss treatment vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin D, Vitamin E can be given to such women whose iron level is down and this can help in restoration of hair.
- Anti-androgens: Androgen receptor–blocking drugs such as spironolactone (Aldactone), Cimetidine (Tagamet) and Cyproterone Acetate although not approved for the treatment of female pattern hair loss, but they are one of effective hair loss treatments for women who doesn’t responds to Minoxidil.
- Estrogen and Progesterone: Estrogen and progesterone pills and creams are one of the effective women hair loss treatments who are facing menopause or who have lower levels of estrogen and/or progesterone.
- Oral contraceptives: with the use of oral contraceptives, the production of androgens is reduced thereby helping as hair loss treatment for woman.
- Ketoconazole (Nizoral): Ketoconazole is used to treat fungal infections. But as it inhibits the production of testosterone and other androgens by the adrenal gland and reproductive organs (in women, the ovaries), it is used in hair loss women treatment.
- Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar): The drug finasteride inhibits DHT (dihydrotestosterone ) which is a follicle-harming chemical. So the drug works quite well to prevent hair loss for most men, and it works for hair loss treatment women also, although women must avoid it if they are pregnant.
- Hair transplant surgery/Hair loss surgery: The other kind of hair loss in women treatment is Hair transplant surgery. This is the new treatment for hair loss. It involves removing a strip of scalp from the back of the head and using it to fill in a bald patch. Today, in 90% of hair replacement surgery technique called follicular unit transplantation is used.
In this new hair loss treatment i.e. hair surgery, surgeons detach a lean strip of scalp and divide it into tiny grafts, each of which contains just a few hairs. Each of the hair implants is planted in a slit in the scalp created by a blade or needle in the area of missing hair. Thus hair grows naturally in small clusters of few follicles, called follicular units. Thus this hair restoration surgery is the best treatment for hair loss if one is not being benefited by medicines.
- Hair replacement: It is also the one of the new hair loss treatments. It is best hair loss treatment women and men who don’t want to take medicines and don’t want to go for surgery. There are number of hairpieces. One must consider hair replacement cost keeping in mind the quality of hairpiece.
So depending upon your wish you can choose between medicated women hair loss treatment or go for new treatments for hair loss. What is best hair loss treatment for women depends upon the severity of the hair loss.