The term Acne comes from word acme, which means “highest point”, this further comes from Greek word akme, which means “point” or “spot”.
What is Acne ?
Acne is a disease which occurs in oil glands of the skin, this is not harmful but it leaves marks on skin. As you all know our skin have pores (tiny holes) which are connected to oil glands under the skin. The glands are connected to the pores via follicles – small canals. Sebum, an oily liquid, is produced by these glands. The sebum carries dead skin cells through the follicles to the surface of your skin. A small hair grows through the follicle out of the skin. Pimples grow when these follicles get blocked. Most Prominent areas for acne to occour are face, chest, back, neck, shoulders and even under arms.
There are various types of Acne (pimples) :
- Whiteheads - these are under the skin and are very small.
- Blackheads - These are clearly visible on skin and are black in colour, some people have myth that these occur due to dirt, but it is not so. Scrubbing your face vigorously will not help to remove blackheads .
- Papules - clearly visible on the surface of the skin. They are small and usually pink. These are bi painful too.
- Pustules - clearly visible on the surface of the skin. They are red at their base and have pus at the top ( white mucus ) .
- Nobules - clearly visible on the surface of the skin. They are large, solid pimples. They are painful and are embedded deep in the skin.
Ayurvedic treatments and herbal remedies for the Acne Problem.
- Eat only required, don’t live to eat.
- Avoid hot, spicy, oily, fried & acidic food.
- Avoid junk food, fast food and outside food, as they are full of spices and acids.
- Drink plenty amount of water, liquid juice etc., this will reduce dryness of intestine and will drain out all wastes from your blood through urine. Take Fruits and their juices like grapes, lemon etc.
- Correction of diet and regular exercise is necessary, as when you sweat, the blocked pores of your skin open when u sweat.
- Make the paste of haridra and chandana and apply it on your face.
- Don’t try to burst the pimples. You may push the infection further down, causing more blocking and worse swelling and redness.
- Wash your face more likely to remove dirt from your face.
- Wipe your face with soft towel and dont be harsh with your skin.
- Don’t go to sleep with makeup on.
- Clean your glasses regularly. As they collect sebum and skin residue.